Prominent economist specialized in agricultural and development economics
Date of Birth: Mon May 29, 1939
Born to an Indian-Thai family.
- St. Paul’s School, Darjeeling, India
- 1962: B. Sc. in Economics (First Class Honours), University of London, U.K.
- 1967: Ph. D. in Economics, Harvard University, U.S.A.
- 1966-72: Asst. Prof. and Research Staff Economist, Department of Economics, Yale Univ.
- 1972-78: Lecturer, Faculty of Economics, Thammasat University, Bangkok
- 1978-84: Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C.
- 1984-90: Program Director for Agriculture and Rural Development, TDRI
- 1990-95: President, TDRI
- 1996–present: Distinguished Scholar, Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI)
- 1986 Distinguished Researcher Award (in economics) by National Research Council (NRC), Sir John Crawford Exchange Award in Agricultural Economics from the Australian Agricultural Economics Society and Australian Council for International Agricultural Research
- 1995 Award for Best Research Work (in economics) by NRC
- 1999 Honorary Doctoral Degree in Economics, Thammasat University, Honorary Doctoral Degree in Development Economics, National Institute Development Administration (NIDA)
- 2003 Honorary Doctoral Degree in Economics, Chulalongkorn University